Seton Hall dominated by DePaul in season finale

The Seton Hall men's basketball team fell at DePaul 86-58 on Saturday.

The loss drops the Pirates (19-11, 8-10 Big East) out of contention for the final first round bye in next week's Big East Tournament.

Seton Hall jumped out to an early 7-2 lead after a three pointer by senior forward Herb Pope, but DePaul would answer with a 10-2 run fueled by three pointers from freshman Jamee Crockett. He led the Blue Demons with a game-high 21 points, including 5-of-7 on three pointers.

With less than a minute to go in the half, Pirates freshman guard Freddie Wilson was called for a personal foul on Blue Demons forward Moses Morgan. After the whistle Wilson appeared to shove Morgan with his hand, and a scuffle ensued and both Wilson and Morgan were assessed technical fouls.

The Blue Demons outscored the Pirates 20-6 to end the half and led 40-27.

In the second half DePaul never looked back, beginning on a 16-6 run to go ahead by 20. The Blue Demons led by as many as 31 in the half, as the Pirates could get no closer than 19 points in the final minutes.

Pope led Seton Hall with 16 points and senior guard Jordan Theodore added 10 points, the only Pirates to score in double figures.

The Pirates shot a respectable 43% from the field, but went just 13-of-22 from the free throw line. DePaul made nearly 54% of their field goals including 10 three pointers.

The Pirates' loss secures the No. 10 seed in the Big East Tournament. They will face the No. 15 seed Providence Tuesday at 7 pm.