Mario Party is back

Ain't no party like a Mario Party, ‘cause a Mario Party don't stop.

Returning from a hiatus of nearly five years, the Mario Party franchise is making a comeback to the Wii console with its ninth installment, Mario Party 9. On March 11, the game will be available in the U.S. and Canada. Exclusive to the Nintendo's Wii console, this latest version boasts new characters, more mini-games and some key changes to gameplay itself.

When compared to older versions of Mario Party, there is much more of a teamwork element and overall cooperative feel. Though the competitive edge still exists within the 80 new mini-games, players must come together to defeat a common enemy – Bowser and his minions – through various Boss Battles. These battles highlight a major change in which the game is played. Gone is the one large game-board, replaced by a new layout that is broken into themed stages with each ending in a group fight against an adversary. Many stages are reminiscent of other aspects of the Mario World, for instance Boo's Horror Castle or Toad Road.

Nintendo Power, the official magazine of Nintendo news, admitted that "some may be discouraged by the game's radical changes."

Players can no longer go about the board separately during each turn, but rather travel together in a special vehicle, with every character given the chance to be the Captain, which according to the Nintendo website will "help streamline game play and keep everyone involved in the action." Gamers can also earn party points each time they play, which unlock special features and items.

"To me, Mario Party represents a good time," senior Matthew DiCiero said. "[But] there is really no need to have nine of anything. Instead of spending their resources creating a new franchise, they are sticking to something that they know will get them decent sales with very little effort."

Sophomore Becky Henley, on the other hand, feels excited for the new Mario Party 9 and cannot wait to buy it. "They mean my childhood," Henley said, referring to previous versions. "I even have a tattoo of the star."

Mario Party 9 supports a multiplayer option for up to four players, as well as a single player mode. Players can start their journey with old favorites, like Luigi, Wario, Yoshi and Toad, or choose from new character options, such as Koopa Troopa or Shy Guy.

Mario Party 9 will be available Sunday, March 11 and will cost $49.99.

Chelsea Catlett can be reached at chelsea.catlett@ student.shu.edu.