Band seeks pledges to record album

Secondhand Serenade is looking for fans to help release a new album by giving them incentive to donate through pledegemusic.com.

According to PledgeMusic, a website that helps artists raise money for their albums, Secondhand Serenade is "starting over. No label. No press team. No publisher. The way it was in the beginning," said vocalist and guitarist JohnVesely. He launched the PledgeMusic campaign to enlist his fans' help in making his new album release possible.

Vesely said, in his YouTube video for the campaign, he split from his previous label, because of some "creative differences." By going independent, Vesely will need to cover all the expenses needed to make the album.

In January, Vesely announced on the Secondhand Serenade Facebook page that he partnered with PledgeMusic and wanted fans to help raise the money to make recording his album possible.

The prizes for donating range from a download of his new album for $10 to a performance at a school dance or prom for $20,000. Other pledge amounts allow fans to receive a phone call from Vesely, personalized poems, voicemails and a private concert online, among many notable prizes. With every pledge, a digital copy of the album will be sent to the fan's inbox once the album is recorded.

On Wednesday, the PledgeMusic reported that Vesely completed 99 percent of his quota with 488 pledges made by fans.

Twenty five percent of the pledge amounts donated after the target amount is reached will go to Ear Candy, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating young people in the arts and donates instruments to youth.

To learn more about the campaign or to make a pledge, fans can go online to www.pledgemusic. com/projects/secondhandserenade.

Patrice Kubik can be reached at patrice.kubik@student.shu.edu.