ROTC to rappel from top of Rock

Three ROTC members will rappel from the top of the Prudential Center for the highly anticipated men's basketball game against Rutgers on Saturday.

According to Seton Hall ROTC Cadet Capt. Dan Knox, three cadets will be rappelling from the top of the Prudential Center before the national anthem is sung on Saturday.

"We would like to think that this will both inspire and motivate the players and fans of Seton Hall to beat Rutgers," Knox said.

Knox will be joined by Cadet Capt. Will ‘Doc' Moreo and Cadet Sgt. 1st class Pete Smith.

Cadet Sgt. Dana Spinks will assist with the set-up since she is a rappel instructor with the Boy Scout League of America, according to Knox.

Knox said he and his fellow cadets have four years of ROTC helicopter training with the air assault school.

"We have the equipment for this event from previous years of rappelling practice," Knox said. "We had to buy new ropes because of the increase in height."

Knox added that the Prudential Center was very supportive of the project.

"We contacted the Prudential Center and they were all for it," Knox said. "They got it cleared by NCAA so we were good to go."

The idea came from Knox's lieutenant colonel, who rappelled from the Arizona basketball arena when he participated in ROTC in college.

On Tuesday, the team met behind Mooney Hall at 7 a.m. and headed to the Prudential Center in order to set up a practice run.

According to Knox, the run- through went as scheduled and the men are ready for Saturday.

"We hope to get a very cool experience out of this, not only for us but for the Seton Hall community as a whole," Knox said.

After graduating from Seton Hall, Knox said, he hopes to make a career out of being in the Army. He said he might change his mind.

After committing to four years of ROTC at Seton Hall, members earn a commission into the corps master section of the Army, which deals primarily with logistics.

The Seton Hall game against Rutgers will take place at the Prudential Center Saturday at 5 p.m.

Rawan Eewshah can be reached at rawan.eewshah@student.shu.edu.