New Edition rocks NJPAC

Lights on, bass pumping, drinks flowing and dancing in the aisles. That was the setting for New Edition's 30th Anniversary Tour at New Jersey Performing Arts Center on Feb. 19.

The group, which gained fame in the 1980s, consists of members Ronnie Devoe, Ricky Bell, Bobby Brown, Michael Bivins, Ralph Tresvant and a later addition, Johnny Gill.

New Edition performed many of their classic hits such as "Candy Girl," "Mr. Telephone Man," "Poison," "Can You Stand the Rain," "Cool It Now" and "Popcorn Love."

Their crisp moves and outstanding vocals stole the show. The audience stood in awe, jamming to the beat and trying to mimic the band's precise choreography.

One of the concert's many highlights was when Bobby Brown appeared on stage about 20 minutes into the concert. The audience immediately erupted in applause and he spoke about the love he had for the late Whitney Houston. Brown said it had been a rough week due to the passing of his ex-wife, but that with his brothers, the members of New Edition, God, his family and the fans, he was able to make it through.

Brown was definitely the comedic entertainment for the night, asking the other members why they kicked him out of the group some 20 years earlier. It was also funny when the group decided to move his microphone stand away from theirs because he did not know the steps.

Another highlight was when one of the members of the group invited an older woman on stage to dance during a song. Not only did she struggle to get on the stage, but while dancing she slipped and fell. In a matter of seconds she was right back up, dancing with the group. Eventually, she had to be escorted off the stage by security.

On this tour they have already performed in New York and New Jersey and are now on their way to Missouri, Virginia and Rhode Island.

If you are a die-hard 80s fan who loves R&B, dancing and good singing, I would definitely suggest checking out New Edition. Although the tickets are a little pricey for college students, it is sure to be a night of high energy and great entertainment.

Briana Knox can be reached at briana.knox@student.shu.edu.