The Vow' a date night treat

"The Vow," which stars Rachel McAdams from "The Notebook" and Channing Tatum from "Dear John," is a love story inspired by true events about a couple whose lives and the love they have for each other are significantly altered in a single moment.

Paige (McAdams) and Leo (Tatum) are a happy newlywed couple whose relationship was a once-in-a-lifetime love story from the very beginning.

After glancing at each other while waiting in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles in Chicago, Leo runs after Paige to give her the permit she dropped when walking out and ultimately asks her on a date.

From that day forward, the two were inseparable.

After a tragic car accident that causes severe head trauma Paige wakes up with Leo at her side, who she believes to be her doctor, not her husband.

The only things Paige recalls about her life are Law school, her engagement to ex-fiancé Jeremy, who is played by Scott Speedman, and her estranged relationship with her parents (Sam Neill from "Jurassic Park" and Academy Award winner Jessica Lange).

Basically, Paige remembers everything - everything in her life before she met Leo.

Against all odds, Leo stays true to his promise: "I vow that no matter what challenges may carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other," and tries to revive their marriage by making Paige fall in love with him again.

So, is it a second chance at Paige and Leo's once-in-a-lifetime love, or not?

You'll just have to find out for yourself.

"The Vow" is based off true events, but I highly doubt producers were precise in their translations from the book to its on-screen version.

With its debut just five days before Valentine's Day, I expected a more thorough and complete, not to mention happier, ending.

As a hopeless romantic who owns way too many romantic comedies, I still cried despite the movie's ending. The couple's enchanting love story is one girls like me only hope, wish and pray for one day.

For those of us who are taken, make it a date night with your boyfriend and/or girlfriend, and for those who are single, make it a bonding session with your girlfriends, and go to the movies. As long as you bring some tissues.

Krissy Wrobel can be reached at kristine.wrobel@ student.shu.edu.