Pitching Coach earns Coach of Year honors

The awards keep coming for the Seton Hall baseball team as pitching coach Phil Cundari has been named National Pitching Coach of the Year by Collegiate Baseball.

"This is a very well-deserved honor for Phil," said head coach Rob Sheppard. "He has put in a countless number of hours working with our pitching staff both on the field and off and this award is a testament to his hard work and knowledge of the game. Every young pitcher should have the opportunity to work with Phil Cundari."

Last season the Pirates' pitching staff led the Big East in earned run average and was second in the conference in strikeouts, opponent batting average, innings pitched and hits allowed.

The pitching staff was led by Joe DiRocco who compiled an 8-2 record and a 1.97 ERA, while being named Most Outstanding Player of the 2011 Big East Championship and an ABCA All-American.

Junior Jon Prosinski led the entire conference with a 1.91 ERA and a 7-4 record. DiRocco and Prosinski were the only two starting pitchers to post sub 2.00 ERA's last season.

Cundari is an 11 year member of the Pirates coaching staff and has coached 17 players that have either been selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft or signed as a free agent.

This is the ninth year of the award handed out by the college baseball newspaper.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu.