Pirates demolish Red Storm at home

The Seton Hall men's basketball team put on a scoring clinic on Tuesday evening, hitting a season-high 15 three pointers in a 94-64blowout of the St. John's Red Storm, extending their winning streak to three games.

The Pirates (18-8, 7-7) shot 62.3 percent from the field compared to the Red Storm's (10-16, 4-10) 39.4 percent, however the real story was Seton Hall's deep shooting. The Hall shot 62.5% (15-of-24) from behind the arc with six different players notching three-point goals. St. John's failed to keep up, converting just 30.8 percent (4-of-13) of its deep balls.

"We're taking good shots," head coach Kevin Willard said. "I really like the way the ball is hopping around and guys are getting their shots."

Senior Jordan Theodore led the way for Seton Hall with 16 points, 10 assists, and three steals. The Pirates received a balanced scoring effort, with sophomore Aaron Cosby and freshman Brandon Mobley each contributing 14 points. Mobley also added nine rebounds and a block.

Sophomore Patrik Auda recorded his first double-double of the season off the bench with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Seton Hall's freshmen combined for 48 points, 12 rebounds, and eight assists for coach Willard, who thinks his first-year recruits have matured over the course of the season.

"I like my freshman," Willard said. "I knew [Aaron] Cosby would be good, and I love what [Brandon] Mobley brings."

St. John's had five players in double digits, including freshman Moe Harkless who finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds while freshman Sir'Dominic Pointer had 12 points, five steals, and four assists. Freshman Amir Garrett added 10 points and six rebounds.

With the game in hand and nine minutes remaining, the Seton Hall crowd began chanting for senior walk-on Pete Dill to enter the game. They got their wish at around the two minute mark when the Long Hill, N.J. pulled off his warmup shirt and checked into the game.

"That was pretty wild," Dill said, talking about the crowd's chants. "You have to give it time. If they hit some threes, they're back in this game."

Dill finished with two assists and two steals in his two minutes of action, both career highs, including a nifty bounce pass which split two Red Storm defenders and found freshman Haralds Karlis for the easy layup.

"That's a play we run in practice," Dill said about the pass. "Freddie gave me a good pass and I did the play we worked on, that's all."

The Pirates are back in action on Saturday when they hit the road for a matchup with the Cincinnati Bearcats. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m.