Poor second half plagues Pirates in loss to Friars

The Seton Hall women's basketball team fell at Providence 62-47 on Saturday.

The loss drops the Pirates to 7-17 overall and 0-12 in Big East conference play.

Providence took advantage of several Pirate turnovers and led 6-2 with 15:16 left in the first half. Later a layup by Friars guard Symone Roberts extended the Friars' lead to 12-4.

Senior guard Jasmine Crew did her best to keep the Pirates within striking distance, scoring the Pirates' next 8 of her game-high 25 points but the Hall still trailed 24-12.

Seton Hall then went on a run as junior forward Terry Green scored 8 straight points to get within 4. But Providence answered with a 3 pointer by forward Chandler McCabe and took a 29-24 halftime lead.

Providence began the second half on a 6-0 run to take a double digit lead. A three pointer by junior guard Brittany Morris cut the deficit to 44-35 but Seton Hall would not get any closer than 9 points the rest of the game.

The Friars never trailed and led by as much as 19 in the victory.

Providence guard Rachel Barnes scored a team-high 14 points while the Big East's leading rebounder Teya Wright grabbed 11 boards and chipped in 9 points.

Seton Hall senior forward Tajay Ashmeade also recorded 11 rebounds in the loss.

The Friars scored 20 points off of 19 Seton Hall turnovers.

Head coach Anne Donovan said that it was very frustrating that the team didn't compete harder.

Donovan also said that Jasmine Crew needs some help and can't do it all by herself. "It was very disappointing to not see our starters step up."

The Pirates will host Cincinnati Saturday at 2 pm.