The Voice: Campus renovations

First impressions matter. Prospective students on a campus tour find much to admire about the appearance of the University. The landscaping creates a welcoming environment, the Green offers a central gathering place for students on nice days, and President's Hall meets expectations for old-fashioned architecture.

Then there's the Bishop Dougherty University Center. The building might have been state-of-the-art when it was built in 1962, but nowadays it is severely outdated.

Seton Hall's top officials have long recognized that something needs to be done with the University Center. Renovations plans were in the works prior to the Boland Hall fire. Administrators circulated architectural renderings, the communication department debated the fate of the Theatre-in-the-Round and employees housed on the second floor dreamed of more office space.

A decade later, the University is resurrecting its plan to spruce up campus, and a major component of the "Strength to Strength" strategic plan is a new University Center.

As challenging as raising the money for the proposed renovations may be, in the long run they can play a big part in recruitment and improving the University's reputation.

The Setonian applauds this decision. A new "jewel of the campus" would be money well spent.