Romeo and Juliet' reimagined in N.J. Performing Arts Center ballet

The tragic story of Romeo and Juliet has been retold countless times but the State Ballet Theater of Russia expressed the feelings of love and intensity without the famous dialogue of William Shakespeare. The performance at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center not only perfectly depicted the struggles between the Capulet and Montague families, but exemplified both the feelings of love and courage through classical ballet.

NJPAC prides itself in delivering culture and art in the heart of the city of Newark. The organization clearly delivered in bringing the Russian Ballet to Prudential Hall. The subtle, sophisticated ambience added an atmosphere to the performance that was serene and peaceful, a plus for those seeking an experience different from loud concerts.

From intricate displays of violence through dance and comical expressions through gestures, the interactions of characters, especially Mercutio and Tybalt, stole the audience's attention. The State Ballet Theater of Russia not only entranced its audience through comedy and action, but entertained viewers with its silent motions and their implied meanings.

For those looking for excitement in new ways, NJPAC delivered with "Romeo and Juliet." Having a long history with composers like Sergei Prokofiev, the Ballet Theater has attracted audiences for more than three decades. A few of their best works include "Cinderella," "The Nutcracker" and "Swan Lake," in which their performers received awards from competitions in Europe like the Laureate of International Competitions and the People's Artists of Russia.

Part of the distinguished culture that The State Ballet Theater of Russia displays in its performances is the simplicity and making every action count. Because of the emotions expressed by each character, there was no need for words. This form of artistry is rare and is difficult to achieve.

For some, ballet is considered a past time that is outdated and boring. However, the Feb. 3 performance at NJPAC proved that ballet can still bring a certain spark to the viewers' eyes at the rise of the curtain. The presentation of "Romeo and Juliet" demonstrated the timelessness of ballet as a storytelling platform.

Katia Diaz can be reached at katia.diaz@student.shu.edu.