Jasmine Crew sets record in loss to Georgetown

The women's basketball team lost to No. 14 Georgetown Wednesday night, 56-51, in Washington, D.C., dropping their 13th straight game of the season.

The lone bright spot in the loss was when senior guard Jasmine Crew broke the Pirate single-season free-throw record after converting three consecutive free throws after being fouled on a 3-point shot with 2:56 remaining in the game. Crew recorded nine free throws in the game.

The previous record was held by Kandice Green during the 2010-11 season when she made 130 free throws.

The Pirates drop to 7-18 on the season (0-11 in conference), trailed by 16 points in the first half after surrendering an 11-0 run, to give the Hoyas a 31-15 lead.

During the five minute scoring drought, the Pirates managed to put up only five shots.

Crew committed five turnovers during the half, while failing to dish out an assist.

In the second half, junior guard Brittany Morris scored the first six points for the Pirates with back to back 3-pointers.

A Georgetown run put the Pirates down by 16 once again, but a fast break lay-up from sophomore guard Jazzmine Johnson started a 10-0 run to pull within six points with 2:22 remaining.

The Pirate run was ended with a pair of free throws from Georgetown junior guard Sugar Rodgers.

Johnson scored five points with 29 seconds remaining in the game to bring the final score to within just five. Johnson finished the game with a season-high nine points on 4-6 shooting, and also dished out four assists.

Crew led the Pirates with 20 points, but finished the game with five turnovers, compared to just two assists. Crew hit her first three 3-point attempts, but did not make another shot from the field during the game.

The Pirates received a strong rebounding effort from senior center Tajay Ashmeade, who recorded 11 rebounds, eight of which came in the first half. Ashmeade also added five points.

Ashmeade's 11 rebounds helped the Pirates outrebound the Hoyas, the sixth best rebounding team in the Big East.

The Pirates struggled as a whole offensively, shooting just 32.7 percent from the field, compared to their season average of 36 percent.

The Hall shot 25 percent from beyond the arc and turned the ball over 14 times.

The Hoyas who are now 19-5 overall and 8-3 in the Big East, converted 16 points on those turnovers.

Georgetown was led by Rodgers, who recorded a double-double with 23 points, on 8-18 shooting, and grabbed 10 rebounds.

Georgetown shot 37.3 percent from the floor, shooting 31.8 percent from 3-point range.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.