University’s reputation motivates professor to apply for lead role

Seton Hall University has “a great deal of potential,” a candidate for the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences said.

Edward Jarroll, Ph.D., dean of the College of Natural and Social Sciences at Lehman College CUNY, spoke to faculty and students on Jan 26 about himself and outlined what his goals are for the University.

“Seton Hall has a good reputation and a great new president,” Jarroll said.

“The College of Arts and Sciences needs a dean to help move the University forward,” he said. “The arts and sciences are the heart of a university.”

Jarroll said he wants to know what Seton Hall’s goals are, and what the University wants to accomplish.

“Seton Hall needs to bring students in and show them how wonderful the faculty, programs and student life (are),” Jarroll said.

According to Jarroll, he wants to help showcase Seton Hall and let the public know what it has to offer for undergraduates and graduate students.

“After walking around the lovely campus, I would love to be here,” Jarroll said. “Seton Hall has a great deal of potential, and I would be honored to be a part of it.”

In his application, Jarroll wrote that he is dedicated to education in liberal arts and the sciences.

Jarroll said his personal attributes fit well with the dean position.

He sets goals and follows them through to completion and can negotiate quality solutions to problems, Jarroll said.

According to his application letter, his research interests lie in the study of parasitic protozoan biochemistry and metabolism.

He is working to establish the first professional master’s program in geographic information systems and another in biotechnology at Lehman.

Jarroll also completed three promotion and tenure cycles at Lehman and hired 20 new faculty members there in the past two years.

Jarroll received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biology at West Virginia University.

He completed his postdoctoral training at Oregon Health Sciences University and Cornell University.

Kathryn Moran can be reached at katherine.moran@student.shu.edu.