Talent show to kick-off Relay for Life season

Seton Hall University's Colleges Against Cancer chapter will hold its second annual SHU Away Cancer talent show at 9 tonight in the Main Lounge.

According to Relay for Life co-Chair and Talent Show Coordinator Melissa Bonamici, the goal of the talent show is to raise awareness and money for the upcoming Relay for Life event that will take place on April 13-14 from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Bonamici said that the club wants to increase the attendance at this year's Relay through the kick-off event.

"We want to make this year's Relay bigger and better," Bonamici said. "With the help of the SHU community, we can do just that."

According to a news release, the talent show will feature 10 acts by Seton Hall students, who will perform routines that include singing and dancing.

Each performer will display a donation jar, and audience members can then make donations as a "fan favorite" vote.

The performer with the most money in his or her jar will be declared the winner.

All earnings will support the American Cancer Society, according to the release.

Bonamici said she and other club members predict that students will be really excited about the talent show because the performers are their friends, classmates and peers.

According to Bonamici, the turnout last year was "overwhelming."

Due to its success, the club members decided to make the talent show an annual event, Bonamici said.

According to Bonamici, there will be several new performers this year in addition to some returning favorites, including last year's co-winner, sophomore Ryan Kozar.

"This year we are hoping to see an even bigger crowd come out to support the SHU Away Cancer Talent Show," Bonamici said.

Bonamici joined the organization last year as a sophomore and said she wants to be as active as possible.

"Relay for Life is one of the most important events held on campus," Bonamici said. "It is so thrilling and exciting to be a part of something so special."

Samantha Massei can be reached at samantha.massei@student.shu.edu.