Students experience issues with Internet

The University is searching for a new dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Manuel Avalos, Ph.D., director of research partnership and innovation at the University of North Carolina Wilmington is one of four finalists for the position.

Avalos said he wants to make Seton Hall one of the top 10 Catholic universities in the United States.

Avalos, who received his doctorate in political science from the University of New Mexico, said he believes collaboration within the College's faculty is important.

Avalos said he prefers faculty and staff coming together to make a decision as a college instead of having an autocracy, although he said he can ultimately be the one to make a difficult decision.

"I think the dean needs to help the professors and students succeed," Avalos said.

Avalos supplies the philosophy of teamwork to the roles of individuals within the college.

"I'm behind the 10 percent rule," Avalos said. "I believe if you have the right 10 percent behind you, you can make change happen."

One aspect Avalos said he would like to change in the College of Arts & Sciences is to be accessible to both undergraduate and graduate students.

According to Avalos, even though students meet with associate deans in the College, he would like to be available to students at least once a month.

Avalos said that he is interested in the position because he is "looking for an opportunity to be in a leadership position."

One of Avalos' goals is to prepare students to succeed in the 21st century.