Stillman program No. 44 in international ranking

Eduniversal, a French consulting company and rating agency, ranked the Stillman School's MBA with a sports management specialization as one of the top 50 programs worldwide last week, according to a news release by Seton Hall.

The rankings are listed on the website, best-masters.com and include St. John's University's MBA in sport management as well as several others internationally.

"I was a bit surprised and very pleased," said Ann Mayo, Ph.D., director of the Center for Sport Management. "I hear people tell me all the time that our undergrad program ranks in the top five or so in the U.S. – so this (Eduniversal) MBA ranking makes me very happy."

Mayo said the students, location of the program, fresh course offerings and great speakers are factors contributing to the program's success.

"We have great students in both (the undergraduate and graduate) programs," Mayo said. "I really do believe that's what drives the rankings."

Joseph Cuomo, a graduate student in the sports management program, said the leadership in the program helps its appeal.

"For years as an undergrad (at the University of Central Florida), it was nearly impossible to talk to an academic adviser, and now I had a program director responding back to me immediately," Cuomo said.

According to Cuomo, the small class sizes "create a suitable learning environment."

Additionally Cuomo said an experienced faculty, location, a dedicated Career Center, and Seton Hall's Sports Polling Center also make the program worthwhile.

Mayo said she hopes Seton Hall's rank will go up.

Currently, according to best-masters.com, it is ranked No. 44 internationally, with only 14 other universities in the country ranked higher.

"I do keep my eye on the competition. I learned that working in sports," Mayo said.

Mayo said that she hopes they will receive a better ranking in the future.

"Now that I know better who my competition is, yes, hopefully we will climb up the rankings."

Cuomo suggested the program continue to be innovative in order to better its rating.

"For a sports management program, our MBA specialization is revolutionary in the fact that it follows the traditional business school model of class at night and work in the day," Cuomo said.

According to Cuomo, the program helps students go beyond the classroom.

"It allows us students to simultaneously learn the norms of the industry from both inside and outside of the classroom," he said.

The program was founded in 1996 and it was one of the first MBA programs in sports management in the country, according to Mayo.

Jessica Card can be reached at jessica.card@student.shu.edu.