Career Center redesigns annual job fair

The Career Center plans to host its biggest career fair event to date from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.on Feb. 23 in the Field House.

Approximately 100 employers will be in attendance. Students, graduate students and alumni can socialize with the employers, which could result in receiving contact information, internships and jobs.

Enterprise, Apple, Publishing House, Madison Square Garden, Teach for America and CBS News are some of the big name employers that will attend.

Career Center counselor Sandra Maloney said that she guarantees all fields will be represented at this upcoming career fair.

"I think it's a good a opportunity to really show employers that Seton Hall‘s (career fair) is not just a small event," Maloney said. "Seton Hall is huge."

This will be the first career fair to combine the many different fields and functions at Seton Hall.

Maloney said a reason for this change is because they have realized employees would like to meet skilled students in many different fields

"Your talents and skills are so beyond what your major defines it is," Maloney said.

Applying for a job is no longer about sending a résumé.

Maloney said she wants students to know that it is important to meet employers face to face and make an impression.

She said she suggests following employers on social media accounts such as Facebook and Twitter.

Another difference with this career fair is that it is run by a student committee.

Student Lauren McCaskill has volunteered at past career fairs along with her organization, the Black Student Union.

MaCaskill said she is excited about the career fair and how other Seton Hall students are helping to plan it.

"I felt like (the career fairs) were very informative and gave me a lot information," MaCaskill said."Being that I've volunteered, it was like I kind of had an insight to get to know the employers and to get into these careers after I graduate."

Maloney said that she advises student to be confident.

"It's important to remember that these employers are people just like you," Maloney said.

"Research on the job titles you're interested in so that you can be prepared."

According to Maloney, students should bring a dozen copies of their résumé.

Brittany Jackson can be reached at brittany.jackson@student.shu.edu