Head volleyball coach steps down

The Seton Hall head volleyball coach has resigned, according to a press release from Assistant Director of Athletics/ Communications Matt Sweeney.

Kris Zeiter, who has spent the last six years at the Hall, announced that he is leaving "to spend more time with his family and examine a possible move out West."

"This is a difficult decision to make, but it's what's best for me and my family at this time," Zeiter said in a University press release. "I will look back fondly on the years I've spent at Seton Hall and all that we were able to accomplish."

This past season, after starting at the top of the league, the team struggled in the middle part of their conference schedule, going 2-6 during this stretch.

Zeiter eventually led the Hall to a school record eight conference wins.

"Kris has brought the Seton Hall women's volleyball program to a new level of excellence," Director of Athletics Patrick Lyons said in the press release. "I thank him for his contributions and hard work and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors."

Since he was hired in 2006, Zeiter has been one of the most successful volleyball coaches in Seton Hall's history.

Over the last three seasons, he has led the Pirates to two consecutive Big East Tournament appearances, though the team was eliminated in the first round all three years.

Despite the recent success of the team on the floor, Zeiter was plagued by his poor sportsmanship several times this season, including three yellow and two red cards during a match at Marquette.

Zeiter had no comment following the event.

Prior to his resignation, Zeiter signed four recruits to next year's squad.

There is no word on the current status of the recruits or on the search for Zeiter's replacement.

Tim LeCras can be reached at tim.lecras@gmail.com.