Catholic studies Department to host annual dramatic reading workshop

Seton Hall University's Saints and Sleuths VI, a mini-series of dramatic readings, will begin at 8 p.m. on Friday and will continue for three non-consecutive nights in the Theatre-In-The-Round.

According to a press release, the four readings are focused on and include G. K. Chesterton's "Magic" and "The Ballad of the White Horse"; Ron Hansen's "Atticus" and Greg Tobin's adaptation from the writings of St. Patrick, "The Trials of St. Patrick."

According to Msgr. Richard Liddy, director of the Center for Catholic Studies and sponsor of Saints and Sleuths, the series is meant to "open students and the community to the works that are among the finest of modern Catholic literature.

"The dramatic readings have been held for the past six years, and so far they have had a great cultural influence on Seton Hall," Liddy said.

Producer and director of Saints and Sleuths, Dr. James McGlone, said that he had a hand in starting the performances.

"I began this project with Dr. David Foster, formerly the director of the Servant Leadership office, with the cooperation of Father Ian Boyd and Monsignor Liddy," McGlone said.

McGlone said the series of readings, performed by the Celtic Theatre Company, is intended to entertain and inform the campus community about great works with a Catholic perspective.

After each performance, there will be commentary from Boyd, the Rev. Joseph Chapel, the Rev, Douglas Milewski and Dr. Dermot Quinn, according to the release.

"Dr. Dermot Quinn and Rev. Ian Boyd, both of whom are well known Chesterton Scholars and Seton Hall University professors, will offer comments about the reading just witnessed by the audience," McGlone said.

McGlone said that the performers consist of former and current Seton Hall students.

"The performers of the dramatic readings are selected by me from the personnel of The Celtic Theatre Company, in residence at Seton Hall University," McGlone said.

McGlone said he hopes for a great turnout.

"The turnout for this year is difficult to predict," McGlone said. "Since this is the sixth year of the performances, we hope to draw, as we have in the past, about 60 to 90 patrons each evening."

Others will be held at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Friday, Jan. 27, and Saturday Jan. 28 at 8 p.m.

Kimberly Bolognini can be reached at kimberly.bolognini@student.shu.edu.