Hall blow big first half lead, lose to William & Mary

Despite having a nine point lead in the first half and a six point lead at half time, the women's basketball team was unable to hold on to the lead on Wednesday at Walsh Gym, losing to William & Mary 61-54.

The first half lead was on the back of senior Jasmine Crew. She had 14 points in the opening half, shooting 75 percent from the floor.

As a team, the Pirates shot 40.6 percent from the floor in the first half, including four three pointers.

The Tribe kept the game within striking distance at the end of the first half. Junior guard Janine Aldridge had 14 points in the half.

At the start of the second half, the Tribe took control of the game.

After exchanging baskets to start the half, the Tribe went on a 15-0 run on the way to a 12 point lead. Aldridge led the way for the Tribe. She his swi three pointers in the game, including three in the second half for a game high 24 points.

William & Mary held on to the lead for the remainder of the game, but not without Seton Hall making a comeback bid. Crew had a chance to push the game to one possession with about three minutes left in regulation when she had a fast break layup off a steal and was fouled in the process. However, Crew missed the free throw and the Tribe regained the six point lead.

Crew made just one basket in the second half, finishing with 16 points.

Senior Tajay Ashmeade had her second straight double-double, finishing with 13 points and 21 rebounds.

The Pirates return to action on Dec. 28 when they host Howard at Walsh Gym. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.