No. 2 UConn to visit Seton Hall

The seven-time NCAA national champion and defending Big East champion, No. 2 Connecticut, comes to Walsh Gymnasium to face the Pirates in both teams' Big East opener at 7 p.m. on Friday.

The Hall comes into the matchup against the Huskies off of a 60-44 lost to Wake Forest, on Sunday at home.

Senior guard Jasmine Crew and junior guard Brittany Morris led the Pirates with 11 points apiece in the loss.

Last season, the Pirates fell to Connecticut, 80-59, at the XL Center in Hartford.

In that game, Seton Hall tied a school record with 11 made 3-pointers, including four by Morris.

Former All-American forward Maya Moore led the Huskies with 20 points.

In the first half, the Pirates were able to stay close to the Huskies, trailing by single digits before a few late baskets gave the Huskies a 38-27 halftime lead.

Connecticut was able to pull away in the second half, extending its lead to 21 with a 12-2 run to start the half.

The Huskies increased the margin to as much as 31 before Seton Hall hit several more 3-pointers to cut the lead in the final minutes.

The Huskies are 7-0 overall, defeating defending NCAA Champion No. 8 Texas A&M 81-51 on Tuesday.

UConn returns several key players, including sophomores Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley. Dolson scored 14 points and grabbed five rebounds against the Pirates last season, while Hartley added 17 points.

The leading scorer for Connecticut is freshman forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who is averaging 16.3 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.

Mosqueda-Lewis was named Big East Freshman of the Week for the third consecutive week on Monday, and scored 21 points in the 92-31 victory over Towson on Nov. 30.

Head coach Anne Donovan said that Dolson is a very versatile player in the post.

"We will try to trap her down low, and maybe play more zone," Donovan said.

Crew reiterated what's important to do against Connecticut.

"We need to stick to coach's plan, be focused out there and play good defense," Crew said.

Seton Hall will also host Drexel at 7 p.m. on Monday.

The Dragons are 4-2 overall and 1-0 in the Colonial Athletic Conference.

They defeated North Carolina-Wilmington 58-43 in their last game.

Christopher Shedlock can be reached at christopher.shedlock@student.shu.edu