Ladies shell out big bucks for hot dates for diabetes

Bachelors were auctioned off to female students Tuesday by Seton Hall's Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, raising more than $1,000 for Juvenile Diabetes and setting up more than nine potential relationships.

Date for Diabetes was held at 9 p.m. in the University Center, where the highest bidders won gift baskets and dates with contestants at a dessert social.

Admission was $5, which included five raffle tickets if purchased at the door, or 10 tickets if purchased on the day prior. Attendees also had the option to purchase additional raffle tickets at the event.

Briana Nguyen, philanthropy coordinator for AGD, said the event exceeded her expectations.

"Everyone had a good time and I kept hearing people compliment AGD on how great it looked," Nguyen said.

The bachelors volunteered from a number of organizations on campus, Nguyen said. Each organization was permitted to enter up to two participants.

A total of nine bachelors were auctioned from Zeta Beta Tau, Alpha Sigma Phi, MLKSA, Sigma Pi, Phi Kappa Theta and Zeta Psi.

The dessert social was held in the Faculty Lounge upstairs in the University Center, Nguyen said.

"We wanted to start a unique, annual event that would be a fun way for all students to come together and raise money for the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation that supports juvenile diabetes research," Laura Russo, sister of AGD said.

The event also offered music, baked goods and a performance by the Filipino League at Seton Hall (FLASH). Nguyen said everyone seemed really impressed and that hopefully next year they can perform again.

AGD sister Jackie O'Rourke said students seemed to be really excited about the event. "It's a fun and new way to get to know other students and gives people a way to support the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation," O'Rourke said.

Gift baskets were auctioned off with each bachelor and were arranged with donations from various local vendors, Nguyen said.

Nguyen said besides FLASH's performance, one of the most memorable moments of the night was the last auction. "The bidding for Alpha Sigma Phi's contestant was really funny to watch," Nguyen said.

Nguyen said more than 100 students turned out for Date for Diabetes.

Joanna Toole can be reached at Joanna.Toole@student.shu.edu