Pirates defeat Yale 73-62

The men's basketball team defeated the Yale Bulldogs, 73-62, with a strong defensive effort.

Sophomore forward Fuquan Edwin had a career night, scoring a game-high 20 points and adding seven rebounds.

"I just play hard for my team," Edwin said. "I feel that the last game down in Charleston I didn't play as well, so I just wanted to bring the spark and play defense and let my offense come to me."

The Bulldogs surged from behind at the beginning of second half, erasing a 10 point Pirate lead.

Senior center Greg Mangano scored six straight points to pull the Bulldogs to within two, 42-40.

A come-from-behind block from freshman guard Haralds Karlis kept the Bulldogs from tying the game.

A dunk from senior forward Herb Pope, coming off an assist from fellow senior Jordan Theodore, after a media timeout started a 17- 2 run for the Pirates.

During the run, the Pirate defense held the Bulldogs scoreless for just over seven minutes.

The Pirates dominated the paint with a 42-18 advantage.

Pope is perhaps the reason for this difference, as he and Theodore connected on two alley-oops in the second half.

Pope recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds.

"I thought I came out and played awful," Pope said. "Overall I have to give credit to the younger guys."

Some of those younger guys include sophomore Patrik Auda who recorded 12 points, seven rebounds, and freshman Sean Grennan who recorded his first points in a Pirate uniform as he drilled a 3-point shot with 4:05 remaining in the first half.

Theodore, who recorded 13 points and nine assists, agreed with Pope that the younger guys are starting to have a bigger impact on the game.

"As the season progresses the young guys will begin to step up," Theodore said. "I was really proud of the young guys."

The Pirates also dominated in fast break points, 20-2.

Edwin was a spark defensively, with five steals.

Head coach Kevin Willard said that the team was "not at all" tired after their recent trip down to Charleston S.C. for the Charleston classic.

Willard said that he is very impressed with Edwin's performance thus far this season.

"[Edwin]'s been terrific all year," Willard said. "He's a fun guy to watch."

Despite the victory, Willard was discontent with certain areas of Pirate play.

"I wasn't happy with our 15 turnovers, and I wasn't happy that we tied rebounding," Willard said.

The Pirate's return to practice as they visit St. Peter's at 8p.m. on Saturday Nov. 26.