Pirates drop first game of season to Northwestern

The Seton Hall Pirates fell just short of their comeback bid against the Northwestern Wildcats in the Charleston Classic championship game losing 80-73.

Despite the Hall's first loss of the season senior Herb Pope had a career night setting a new career high for points scored in a game with 32. Pope shot 14-17 from the field along with going 2-2 from both the free throw line and from three, while also pulling down nine rebounds.

The other two Pirates scoring in double figures was senior Jordan Theodore with 16 and sophomore Fuquan Edwin with 10.

At the half the Hall trailed Northwestern 40-30 but it would not take long to cut into the lead.

Pope started the half with a short jumper and on the Wildcats ensuing possession Pope stole a pass and took it the length of the court for a layup, cutting Northwestern's lead to 40-34, 28 seconds into the second half.

With the Wildcats holding the 54-42 advantage the Pirates made their run to get back into the game. Starting with Pope hitting a three point shot the Hall went on a 15-0 run to take the 57-54 lead with 8:32 remaining in regulation.

However, Northwestern responded and with the score tied at 67, junior Drew Crawford made a jumper giving the Wildcats the lead for good. Crawford led Northwestern with 27 points followed by senior John Shurna adding 19 points.

The Wildcats finished the game on a 13-6 run to clinch the title.

The Pirates return home to the Prudential Center on Tuesday Nov. 22 to face the Yale Bulldogs.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at Stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu