Holiday event inspires community service fair

Chi Upsilon Sigma is hosting a "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" event from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 7 in the Main Lounge to jumpstart the holiday season.

According to Chi Upsilon Sigma president, Oriana Luquetta, the event is being hosted to bring the campus community together towards service in an enjoyable way.

The sorority is aiming to bring the holiday spirit to the student body by encouraging them to give back to the community.

"We saw this as a great opportunity to collaborate with clubs and organizations beyond Greek life," Luquetta said. "We are excited to have received such positive support from the SHU community"

The event has 12 confirmed co-sponsorships, including Campus Ministry and the Division of Volunteer Efforts.

The sorority is planning on setting up a Christmas "fair" where there will be several stations set up and monitored by a different co-sponsoring organization.

Some of the stations will include Christmas letters to soldiers' stationed overseas, letters to orphaned children in places such as El Salvador and Haiti, and also nursing homes.

DOVE will be sponsoring a toy drive, the brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity are hosting a teddy bear drive, along with several other organizations that will use the program as a chance to raise money for their respective philanthropies.

Chi Upsilon Sigma will be hosting a bake sale at the event which will contribute all funds to their own philanthropy, the I Have a Dream Foundation.

Luquetta said that students will not only be giving back to the community, but they will also have the chance to have some fun.

"Students can expect a fun filled holiday environment on this Wednesday before finals," Luquetta said. "They can walk in throughout the day, in between their classes."

The sorority is planning to set up a green screen with a Christmas themed background for photo opportunities, along with some karaoke, the chance to build twizzler houses, make ornaments "and much more!"

According to the Chi Upsilon Sigma's Grand Chapter website, the sorority is founded on the moral principles of integrity, respect and accountability.

"Our sisters are women who not only exemplify and embody the essence of our organization, but also educate themselves and others about societal current events that enlighten their understanding of the world and their communities" said Grand Chapter Board President Roshnee Vazquez on the sorority website.

Luquetta said she encourages students to come.

"This program will be one to remember," Luquetta said.

Samantha Massei can be reached at samantha.massei@student.shu.edu.