Swimming and Diving improve with dual meet victories

The men's and women's swimming and diving teams extended their undefeated start on Nov. 5 against Providence, improving their records to 5-0.

"We have a really nice mix of upperclassmen and freshmen," head coach Ron Farina said. "The team, as a whole, has worked really hard during the season and in the offseason. The kids really like to get up, race and swim fast."

Farina also commented on the determination and focus of his teams.

The women defeated the Friars with a score of 154-122, placing first in 11 events.

Sophomore Kerrie Kolackovsky led the Pirates with four first-place finishes, including the 100 breaststroke (1:13.73), the 200 breaststroke (2:40.98), and the 400 freestyle (4:32.84).

Kolackovsky along with teammates, junior Andrea Shuba, sophomore Kelly Markwell, and senior Rose Virgilio took first place in the 200 medley relay with a 2:02.10 finish.

Kolackovsky said that the "atmosphere of the races," as well as her teammates and family keep her motivated.

Shuba added two individual wins for the Pirates: the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:07.39 and the 200 backstroke in 2:23.45.

Virgilio followed suit by placing first in the 50 freestyle in 28.06 and 100 freestyle in 1:00.67.

Sophomore Jane Ehret shared in the first place victories, winning the 100 butterfly in a time of 1:05.44 and the 200 butterfly in 2:18.77.

In addition to the women's team, the men finished first in 12 events, leading to a 165-104 win over the Friars.

Sophomore Matt Benson was one of three swimmers to grab first in two events, winning the 100 backstroke in 1:00.38 and the 200 backstroke in 2:10.98.

Junior Ryan O'Shaughnessy won the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:10.90 and the 200 breaststroke in 2:29.59.

Sophomore Joey Lacus also put up two victories, one in the 50 freestyle with a 24.56 finish and the other in the 100 freestyle in 54.67.

Freshman diver Ben Mitchell posted a winning score of 287.25 on the one meter springboard to automatically qualify for the 2012 Big East Championship.

The Pirates will be back in action on Friday, Nov. 11 for a two-day meet at Rutgers University where they will face some of their "toughest opponents," according to Farina. The women's team will compete against Rutgers and Texas Christian University, while the men will also take on TCU as well as St. Peter's.

"This meet will be a good test," Farina said. "We are looking to continue to race fast and not necessarily worry about placing, but qualifying for Big East and getting good preparation."

Stephanie Vedral can be reached at stephanie.vedral@student.shu.edu