Golf tournament raises money in support of Leukemia cure

The Seton Hall men's golf coach is planning to donate over $1,600 to St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, N.J. in honor of his niece.

Clay White, who is in his eighth season at the Hall, raised the money through a golf tournament this fall that was sponsored by St. Barnabas.

The Intercollegiate Tournament hosted over 17 teams and raised the money to bring awareness to Leukemia.

White's niece, Brooke was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of two in July of 2010.

"She went for a regular check up and they found some spots on her chest," White said. "She was immediately admitted to the hospital."

Now 3 years old, Brooke is celebrating the one year anniversary of her bone marrow transplant, which she received on Nov. 11, 2010.

"Brooke received the transplant from her sister, who was four or five at the time," White said.

According to White, prior to the bone marrow transplant, Brooke received four months of chemotherapy.

Brooke has her one year check-up this week, but so far has remained cancer free, White said.

"We're anxious about the check up," White said.

White said that Brooke has handled the experience very well.

"I mean I think that one of the great things about kids is that they are so resilient," White said. "She just has the personality and was happy and very good.

According to White, it is important for college students to be informed about this cause.

"I just think that a lot of college age kids don't understand some of the effects that this has on people around them," White said. "It is one of the many things that I think students should take a look at and see how they can help."

White said that his message is to try and help others.

"If you can help, help," White said.

White first began raising money for Brooke's family to help cope with some of the medical bills.

"Both of her parents had to take a leave of absence from both of their jobs," White said.

White said he wants to donate to St. Barnabas to help future kids out.

White is passionate about cancer research. Both his father and mother-in-law suffered from the disease.

According to White, they are looking to make a larger donation in the future.

"I want to keep it at the front of everyone's minds," he added.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu