Alpha Phi Omega to host Nickelodeon-themed conference at Seton Hall

Seton Hall University's Alpha Phi Omega chapter will be hosting the APO sectionals conference for New Jersey, this Sunday, Nov. 13 in the Main Lounge.

Workshops associated with the conference will take place in Duffy Hall.

Moira Kelly and Ricky Harzula, two brothers in the fraternity, organized the event that will be

Photo courtesy of Moira Kelly

APO brothers Moira Kelly and Ricky Harzula organized the event.

for all the chapters in New Jersey.

According to Harzula, there will be workshops throughout the day that are leadership based and will have topics such as running meetings, brotherhood relations and diversity in chapters.

"There will also be fellowships where brothers can relax and hang out and work on service projects because service is a huge part of APO," Harzula said.

President of APO, Lianne Messina added that the conference is based off of the three cardinal rules of Alpha Phi Omega: Leadership, Service and Friendship.

According to Kelly, Seton Hall beat out Rutgers for hosting the conference using the theme of Nickelodeon. Both Kelly and Harzula referred to the theme as Nick–APO- lodeon.

"We wanted it to be nineties Nicktoons because it's relatable to our generation. That's what makes it unique," Harzula said.

Each program will be influenced by Nickelodeon, according to Kelly. One program being Nick Jr., where Seton Hall pledges and pledges from other schools will get to share their experience.

Kelly also said that there will be nickelodeon trivia set up as one of the fellowship events and that one of the service events will be a park clean up of Ivy Hill park, which is right behind the school.

According to Harzula, not only does the nickelodeon theme make it unique but so does the fact that it is an entirely student led conference and brothers will be running some of the workshops.

"It's really cool because we are able to get our own students involved and it's a leadership experience in itself," Kelly said.

Harzula said a good part about student run workshops is that students have gone through the experiences that they are talking about and this lets them put their own perspective in.

Overall, Harzula and Kelly both felt like the conference is a way to shed more good light on Seton Hall and the APO chapter.

"It's helping to build the APO chapter and Seton Hall's reputation," Kelly said.

Messina said she felt confident about the conference, saying that she thought everyone would do their job and the day would turn out perfect.

Harzula agreed saying that he thought everyone would really enjoy the conference.

"The whole point of it is the fact that we're a service fraternity serving a lot of people in our community, and on campus, and one another. This conference is huge, it's a way for us to grow and help other chapters grow to serve the people," Messina said.

Kelly Carroll can be reached at kelly.carroll@student.shu.edu.