Up and coming musicians to watch: Kurt Vile, Oh Land, Good Old War

Kurt Vile

While Kurt Vile can hardly be considered a newcomer to the music world, it is his fourth studio album "Smoke Ring for My Halo" that is finally making him stand out amongst the masses.

Vile has been likened to Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Bob Dylan, but with his latest record the folk-y singer has finally struck out all on his own.

After amping up his music with 2009's gritty "Childish Prodigy," "Smoke Ring for My Halo" takes Vile's music even farther. While he still channels the greats, there is no contesting that Vile's finished product is a sound all his own.

One day, he might even be one of the greats himself.

Good Old War

Good Old War's two albums have put them on regular rotation for many indie and folk music fans since the release of 2008's "Only Way to Be Alone."

The band's close relationship with Circa Survive's Anthony Green has propelled them into the public eye. Now, the band is hitting their stride, and garnering big-label attention.

They will be playing shows at both Hoboken's Maxwell's and Brooklyn's Bell House this December. Rumor has it they may be making their way even closer than that come Spring….

Oh Land

Nanna Øland Fabricius may not sound like the name of a rising star—probably because of the unpronounceable-in-English letter—but this Danish singer, better known by her stage name Oh Land, is one to watch.

Much like her music, which can only be described as an experimental version of pop, Oh Land's performances are strange. They include pounding on light boxes and projections of faces on balloons.

Oh Land has been receiving significant amounts of attention in both her native Denmark and in the United States. She has acted as tour support for pop starlet Katy Perry and been featured on a track by radio favorites, Gym Class Heroes.

To understand a little more about the complex character that is Oh Land—and find out about tour dates— visit ohlandmusic.com

Alyana Alfaro can be reached at alyana. alfaro@student.shu.edu.