Swimming teams remain undefeated

Both the men's and women's swimming and diving teams remain undefeated this season after sweeping Lafayette and Loyola this weekend as well as Iona on Tuesday.

Before hosting the Iona Gaels, the women's team defeated the Lafayette Leopards 191-109 and Loyola Greyhounds 161-139.

Winning three races for the Pirates was sophomore Kerrie Kolackovsky who hit the wall first in the 500 and 1000-yard freestyles as well as the 100-yard breaststroke.

Sophomores Jane Ehret and Kelley Markwell recorded wins in both the 100 and 200-yard butterfly, taking first and second place respectively. Ehret scored again for the Hall, winning the 200-yard individual medley, while junior Andrea Shuba took first in the 200-yard backstroke.

The Pirates' relay team of Shuba, Kolackovsky, Markwell, and senior Rosalie Virgilio surpassed all the competition in the 200-yard medley.

Diving this weekend for the Hall, sophomore Katie Riley placed first in the 1 meter while senior Kaitlyn Karl finished in second place behind Riley.

The men's team also dominated the tri-meet in Baltimore, Md., defeating Lafayette 216-84 and Loyola 162-136.

While sophomore Richard Dunham won three events for the Pirates, taking first in the 50, 100, and 200-yard freestyle, Dunham was also named Big East Male Swimmer of the week for his contributions to the Hall's victories this weekend.

Also scoring points for the Pirates, junior Ryan O'Shaughnessy won the 100-yard butterfly as well as the 200-yard individual medley.

The men's relay teams grabbed two victories against the Leopards and Greyhounds behind the team of sophomore Matthew Benson, freshman James Logan, O'Shaughnessy and Dunham winning the 200-yard medley, as well as the quartet of junior Joey Lacus, Benson, Logan, and senior Matt Holland taking first in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

In diving competition for the men, freshmen Ben Mitchell won first in both the 1 and 3 meter diving events.

As Seton Hall hosted Iona on Tuesday, the Pirates earned the win with the women's 173-119 and men's 185.5-105.5 performances.

For the women, the Pirates were paced by individual victories from Ehret and Virgilio with three and two first-place finishes respectively.

Ehret contributed wins in both the 500 and 1000-yard freestyles, as well as the 200-yard butterfly.

While sophomore Kate Dwyer came in second behind Ehret in the 500-freestyle, Dwyer posted a win of her own in the 200-yard freestyle.

As one of Seton Hall's fastest sprint swimmers, Virgilio again took first place in the 50 and 100-yard freestyles. So far this season, Virgilio has finished no worse than second place in an individual race.

Off the diving board, Karl finished in first place in the 3 meter dive and placed second in the 1 meter dive to lead the Pirates in that event.

For the men's team, Holland and Lacus found themselves competing against each other for first and second positions in two individual events.

Lacus edged Holland in the 50-yard freestyle by less than two tenths of a second, where as in the 100-yard freestyle, Holland beat out his teammate by the same slim margin.

The Pirates' relay teams took first place finishes in both the 200-yard medley behind O'Shaughnessy, sophomore Greg Black, Dunham and Benson as well as the 200-yard freestyle with Lacus, sophomore Tyler Naumann, Holland and Logan recording the fastest relay time of the night for that event.

Mitchell continued his winning performance in diving competition, outscoring divers in both the 1 and 3 meter events, Senior Will Penny was directly behind Mitchell, diving to a second place finish in the 3 meter dive.

The men's and women's teams look to continue its winning streak when they take on the Providence Friars in their first Big East meet on Saturday, Nov. 5 in Providence, R.I.

Alexis Granell can be reached at alexis.granell@student.shu.edu and Krissy Wrobel can be reached at wrobelkr@shu.edu.