Hill Harper next in line for SAB speaker series at Seton Hall

The Students Activities Board will be presenting an author and actor of CSI: N.Y. at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 4th in the Jubilee Auditorium.

Hill Harper, winner of an NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work and the winner of Best Book for Young Adults 2007 by the American Library Association, will be lecturing students about issues young people face today.

The first 75 students to arrive at this event will receive a free copy of one of Hill' books, New York Times Best seller "Letters to a Young Sister" and the inspirational best seller "Letters to a Young Brother."

Hill's lecture is called "Building a Foundation for your Life."

According to Mariel Pagan, assistant dean of students for students activities, Hill has spoken at several different schools and conferences.

According to News One, Harper was inspired to help people cure financial issues when he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

Harper lectures about using the same tactics to go about battling cancer as he would battle financial issues, according to News One.

Pagan said the reason Hill Harper was chosen to speak at Seton Hall was because he addresses real problems faced today.

"Harper helps young people to make the best of their lives," Pagan said.

Pagan said Harper will really be of interest to college students.

SAB member and head of the Current Issues and Awareness program, Ashley Scotto, said students will relate to Harper because he offers a way to plan out their life.

"Harper focuses on not letting yourself get down," Scotto said. "He helps to build a foundation for your life."

Scotto also said students will feel comfortable at his speech because he does not lecture at people.

Pagan said this is the first year SAB has been able to present speakers to SHU and Harper is the second of three.

"We are proud that we can do this now and students think it's cool we can, too," Pagan said. "We couldn't do this a year ago."

Pagan said as long as they hear positive feedback from students, speakers will continue to be presented every semester.

"We've been getting a lot of positive feedback and we're hoping to sell out," Pagan said.

Pagan said they have reached out to faculty as well as alumni to spread the word to students about Harper's speech.

"We have made a conscious effort to reach out to alumni and faculty," Pagan said.

Scotto is also tabling outside the cafeteria on Nov. 1 and Nov. 3 to promote the event, and she said posters have been posted all around campus.

This event is offered as a COMPASS event to freshmen and the tickets are free to all students, and $10 dollars for non-students.

Tickets are on sale now at the ticket office in the University Center.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.