DOVE holds post-graduate service fair

The Division of Volunteer Efforts hosted the Post Graduate Volunteer Service Fair on Oct. 20, where students learned about options to do service after graduation.

Michelle Peterson, director of DOVE, said the Volunteer Fair had a turn-out of over 60 students.

"I tell students that if they want their plans ‘ruined', they should get involved in service," Peterson said. "Once their eyes are opened to the injustices in our world, they are compelled to respond with their gifts, talents, and lives."

The fair was held in the Chancellor's Suite from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., and hosted representatives from over 20 organizations from across the country, Peterson said.

"Their perspectives were broadened to the various opportunities available to them from the Peace Corps, to Teach for America, to over a dozen Catholic Service Agencies," Peterson said.

According to Peterson, many students have already begun the process of completing applications about the populations they wish to serve.

Peterson said DOVE hopes to continue to host the fair annually, since their students have always shown an interest in and dedication to service.

"It no longer matters how much money you make, rather, the focus is on changing ourselves to best serve our brothers and sisters in need," Peterson said.

Reesa Greenwald, associate director at The Career Center, said she agreed that service projects could be beneficial in starting or realizing a career.

"These are full time positions that help develop leadership skills and expose new graduates to work that directly improves lives and strengthens communities," Greenwald said.

Greenwald said that by participating in these service projects, individuals are put into situations in which they are required to grow and develop new skills.

"For some students, this becomes their career path," Greenwald said.

Amie Donahue, career professional at The Career Center, said that her two years as an Americorps member helped her decide on a career path and make new professional contacts.

"Students from any academic discipline are welcome and encouraged to look into post-baccalaureate service programs," Greenwald said.

Peterson said that any student who wishes to hear about how they can commit one or two years of their lives to serving in the U.S. or abroad is welcome to come to the DOVE office for information.

Upcoming events hosted by The Career Center include the annual "Do it Just" program on Feb. 29 in the University Center.

Greenwald said this will be an opportunity for students to meet one-on-one with members of several different service programs.

There will also be representatives from service groups at the annual "Career & Internship Fair" on Feb. 28.