Cross-country teams compete in Big East Championship

The Seton Hall cross-country teams competed in the Big East Championship 6K on Saturday, Oct. 29 at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park in Louisville, Ky.

Overall, the women's team finished in 15th place with freshman Mary Migton leading the way with a 72nd place finish with a time of 22 minutes and 32.9 seconds.

"Mary is doing really well and is only going to get better," head coach John Moon said. "She is determined and has a fantastic attitude, which makes her very fun to coach. It is good for the other members of the women's team as well. Mary motivates them to get better."

Moon added that Migton will prove with time to be one of the best runners in the Big East.

The men's team finished in 14th place and was led again by senior Jared Hanko with a time of 26:27.3.

"There is not much I can say about Jared," Moon said. "He is in a class by himself, and it is only a matter of time until he breaks 26 minutes. Jared is hungry and a contender."

This Big East Championship meet was one of the best things for the teams' morale and confidence, according to Moon. After this weekend's performance, the teams realize that they can compete with and even beat "the big people."

While the Pirates didn't make any special preparations for this meet, the team was very excited to run in the Big East Championship. Moon said that he is very proud of how both teams ran, especially with the number of walk-ons the Hall has compared to other schools in the conference.

Moon continued to say that he and his team are looking forward to regionals with the chance to beat teams that have previously beaten Seton Hall.

"The team is coming into their own," Moon said.

The Pirates return to action at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional on Saturday, Nov. 12 in Princess Anne, Md.

Stephanie Vedral can be reached at Stephanie.vedral@student.shu.edu.