Swimming and diving starts season with dual meet wins

The men's and women's swimming teams defeated Rider in the season's opening meet on Oct. 20. While the men powered their way past the Broncs with a score of 173-126, the women's team also won, 165-126.

The women's team scored multiple victories throughout the meet.

Sophomore Kerrie Kolackovsky placed first in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke as well as the 500-yard freestyle.

Junior Andrea Shuba was also atop the charts, winning both the 100- and 200-yard backstroke, while senior Rose Virgilio notched wins in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle.

In addition, sophomore Jane Ehret took first in the 200-yard butterfly, and also posted a first place finish in the 200-yard individual medley.

The Pirate relay team also won the 200-yard medley with the team of Shuba, Kolackovsky, Ehret, and Virgilio. Meanwhile, the quartet of seniors Marilyn Purvis and Kaley Swider, sophomore Kelly Markwell and junior Alie Zelenky finished in second place, two seconds behind their teammates.

Off the diving board, sophomore Katie Riley had no competition from the Broncs, diving unopposed in both the one and three-meter events.

Nine of the Pirates posted qualifying times, good enough to earn spots in the Big East Championships. For the men, 10 Pirates came home with victories.

Junior Ryan O'Shaughnessy led the way with three first place finishes, winning the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke as well as the 200-yard individual medley.

In his college debut, freshmen Richard Dunham finished just behind O'Shaughnessy in the 200-yard individual medley, but won in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle.

Senior Pete Gingeleskie added two victories of his own by placing first in the 100- and 500-yard freestyle, while sophomore Matthew Benson hit the wall first in the 100-yard backstroke, sealing the victory.

The relay team of Benson, Dunham, O'Shaughnessy and freshman James Logan gave the Pirates their first relay win of the night in the 200-yard medley.

Later, Benson and Logan teamed up again for another relay victory in the 400-yard freestyle, this time with senior Matt Holland and sophomore Joey Lacus.

In his debut as a Pirate, freshmen Ben Mitchell placed second and third in the one- and three-meter diving events.

Seven members of the men's team will be joining their female teammates during February's Big East Championship in Pittsburgh.

The men's and women's swimming and diving teams' next meet will be on Oct. 29 in Baltimore for a quad meet against Drexel, Lafayette and Loyola.

Alexis Granell can be reached at alexis.granell@student.shu.edu.