A very tranny adventure 'Rocky Horror' tradition still sexy

Since its 1975 release, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," has become a cult-classic. Now, with Halloween approaching, the film is on the minds of many—as well as the experience that can be had seeing the show in a theater.

The film starts with a newly-engaged couple whose car breaks down near the residence of the bizarre Dr. Frank-N-Furter and follows the wild and unexpected turns their night takes at the mansion. While many have seen the movie in its own right, it is the experience that comes with seeing a live showing that has many flocking to the theatres every Halloween.

At a live show, while the movie is being played the crowd participates in sing-alongs and dances, while watching the performances of the "shadow cast." Perhaps one of the most unique aspects of "Rocky Horror," shadow casts consist of actors who supplement the action on the screen as well as engaging the audience in show participation.

Live shows, while generally fun, are not for everyone. First timers are often called out of the audience and made to participate in "initiations." These vary from theater to theater, but one thing they all have in common is that they are generally embarrassing and for those who are more inhibited, the initiations may be the waking version of a nightmare. Anyone going to a screening should be prepared for some-kind of initiation, but remember, that everyone else in the theater had to go through a similar ordeal once so while they may be laughing now, they once were in your shoes.

Though "Rocky Horror" has been around for over 35 years, the movie's cultural impact has not waned. It is the film with the most common and regular midnight screenings.

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is presented in theaters nation-wide almost every weekend, but the film's dark themes make it a perfect Halloween adventure. The many costumes that can be created of the film's characters also give any "Rocky Horror" enthusiast the perfect excuse to dress up like their favorite character for Halloween.

Locally, it can be seen at the Bellevue Theater in Upper Montclair or the Chelsea Cinemas in New York City. For Halloween weekend, both theaters have midnight showings on both Friday and Saturday nights scheduled.

Alyana Alfaro can be reached at alyana.alfaro@student.shu.edu