Pirate Blue Student Club aims to increase involvement

The Pirate Blue Student Club is looking to make more of an influence on campus this year with new initiatives.

Club president and senior Nicholas Cooley said the club had not done much in the past.

The club was founded in 2008 by former Pirate Blue Athletic Fund Graduate Assistant Shane Giblin.

"The club's focus is on current students and their pride for Seton Hall Athletics," Cooley said.

According to PirateBlue.com, "the Pirate Blue Student Club is designed for students interested in the advancement of Seton Hall University Athletics."

Brian Burke, chairman for the club, said that it is about to become the largest student-based club on the entire campus.

"It is a great opportunity for students to connect with our student-athletes, alumni, and other students," Burke said.

According to Cooley, their new goals aim to get the campus involved.

"Our goal is to increase student involvement on campus through this group," Cooley said. "We hope to have a monthly open floor meeting where students can come and voice their opinions as well."

The club offers special events that are exclusive to members.

"Currently, one bus trip to watch the Men's Basketball team take on Rutgers is scheduled and we are in the process of trying to schedule another trip," Cooley said. Transportation will be provided; however, students must purchase their own tickets for the games.

The club is also offering a new benefit to its members this year. "Before every home game, we have set up a Pirate Blue Student Club member's only hospitality area, where members are provided free food and soft drinks," Cooley said.

Newcomers can become members immediately at the hospitality area.

According to the Pirate Blue Student Club's membership application, some additional membership benefits include a special Pirate Blue gift, away game television viewing parties, and raffles to win tickets and autographed memorabilia.

"We are looking to host some type of kick-off event for the men's and women's basketball teams this year," Burke added.

Currently, the Pirate Blue Athletic Club is also prominent on campus, however, the Pirate Blue Athletic Club is centered on Seton Hall alumni and run by donations.

The Pirate Blue Student Club's emphasis is on current students, Cooley said.

According to PirateBlue.com, the club also encourages students to become involved by offering them a chance at acquiring priority points for season tickets to men's basketball games, as the Pirate Blue Athletic Club does.

According to the PirateBlue.com and the Pirate Blue Student Club Facebook page, 2011-2012 Men's Basketball season ticket holders are automatically members. All other students can pay a $5 fee and fill out an application to become a member.

The Blue Student Club Facebook group has 345 members.

As of press time, the club's Facebook page had 24 likes.

Burke said that potential members turn to the club's board of directors with questions.

In addition to Cooley and Burke, Brian Baird, Angela Tonon, Kyle Norwood, Kalie Marshall, Joseph Lacus, and Nick Scalera run the club.

Membership applications are available in the Richie Regan Recreation Center, on the Pirate Blue Student Club's Facebook page, on pirateblue.com, or by emailing Brian Burke.

Jessica Card can be reachedat jessica.card@student.shu.edu