SHU partners up to create Technology Learning Center

Saint Rose of Lima Academy in Short Hills N.J. paired up with Seton Hall University to create a Technology Learning Center for students at the Academy this past summer.

The center grants students access to technology enriched programs that previously were not available to them.

Saint Rose of Lima Academy technology teacher Bob Miller said"the creation of the Technology Center shows that in these difficult economic times parents still are dedicated to helping the school move forward and technology is one great way to do that."

According to Miller, the Technology Center was the result of a $100,000 fundraising program set by the parents of Saint Rose of Lima Academy.

Over 57 percent of families at the Academy were actively involved in raising money for the center, Miller said.

According to Miller these family donations along with those from Alumni, the parish, and the Knights of Columbus, helped the Academy reach its goal and successfully build the center.

The Technology Center helps the Academy move forward into the digital age and demonstrates the Academy's goal of being a technology forward school, Miller said.

According to Miller his allows the Academy to set itself apart from other area grade schools. It also gives the Academy access to faster, wireless internet.

"The advantage will be ability to learn more applications along with faster internet access," Miller said.

In pairing with Seton Hall, the Academy said it believes it is making the most of the Technology Center.

The Hall will help St. Rose integrate their new technology into the curriculum of all students for pre-K to eighth grade.

The pair is still working on new initiatives for St. Rose to utilize with the Technology Center. These initiatives have yet to be announced, according to Miller.

Members of Saint Rose of Lima Academy's Advisory Board said they feel that the Academy's partnership with Seton Hall University will provide their students with a distinct advantage over their peers.

The Technology Center also includes 26 new student computers with 22-inch multi-touch flat screen monitors to introduce students to new touch screen technology.

Erin Williams can be reached at erin.williams@student.shu.edu.