Seton Hall students to present at national male nursing conference

Two male Seton Hall students in the Caroline D. Schwartz College of Nursing are scheduled to present their abstract at the American Assembly of Male Nurses 36th Annual Conference in Kentucky on Oct. 21.

Senior Eddie Cuza and junior Matthew Power will be presenting their research from the abstract that required them to formulate and utilize strategies to recruit men into the nursing profession, Power said.

The conference, titled "The IOM Future of Nursing: Men Leading Change and Advancing Health," will be hosted by the University of Kentucky College of Nursing in Lexington, Ky from Oct. 20-21, according to aamn.org.

"I am confident that my participation on this conference will provide me with a number of advantages that will positively help my career, including networking with some of the brightest minds in the profession," Power said.

Power said the idea of submitting an abstract to the conference was initially proposed by professor Maureen Byrnes.

In the past only Ph.D. students have made presentations, but Power sought and received permission to submit an abstract from the organization's board members and invited Cuza to come on board for the project, Power said.

Cuza said they found out via email in August that they were invited to present.

"I called Matthew immediately screaming, ‘we did it!'" Cuza said.

"I'm hoping this will aid my professionalism as a future nurse through networking, hopefully working on any future projects they have to offer," Cuza said. "If I can make enough contacts and establish a positive association with Seton Hall University, hopefully this can lead to a preference when it is time for Human Resources to choose an employee."

Cuza said that in preparing for the panel presentation, he and Power have been talking about their research on a personal level.

"Matthew and I have been trying to become avid conversationalists, well rounded on all of today's healthcare topics so no matter what topic presents itself, we'll be able to handle it with the caliber Seton Hall expects of us," Cuza said.

Power said that he and Cuza wanted to portray the professional opportunities that stemmed from attaining a B.A. in nursing, in keeping with the goal to promote male entry into the profession. Their research began by interviewing advanced male professionals who began their careers with a BSN, Power said.

"We traveled all over the tri-state area interviewing male nurses in management positions to better understand their experiences and gather more firsthand knowledge," Cuza said.

The two students then continued research by interviewing current registered nurses of both sexes and current nursing students of both sexes, and divided their research for analysis, Power said.

Cuza is president of the Student Nursing Association, where he says they strive to provide their members with professional, personal and academic development.

Cuza said he gained the desire to learn more about medicine after he served as a medic in the Air Force, and loved having the patient interaction.

Power said saw nursing as the most beneficial path one could take if interested in medicine. "It offers so many different careers and opportunities, whether you're interested in marketing, business, critical care or psychiatry, there is a place for you as a nurse," Cuza said.

Power said there were two main factors that solidified his decision to pursue a degree in nursing.

He said it provides the opportunity for excellent vertical career growth, such as health law, health care administration and advanced practice specialties such as anesthesia.

"It is a profession in which, regardless of what eventual position one may pursue, the opportunity to improve human life will always present," Power said.

Joanna Toole can be reached at joanna.toole@student.shu.edu.