Pirates keep streak alive with fifth straight win

For the first time in program history, the Seton Hall women's volleyball team had a player record a triple-double in a match.

Freshman setter Shelbey Manthorpe reached the mark Sunday, recording 13 kills, 27 assists and 10 digs against the South Florida Bulls in the Pirates' 3-1 victory.

With the victory, the Pirates are undefeated in Big East play, improving to 3-0 for the first time since 1992.

The Hall remains one of five teams that have not lost a conference match this season.

They are now 12-6 overall on the season with five consecutive wins, while USF fell to 6-10 overall and 2-2 in the conference.

The Pirates got 14 kills, six digs and three service aces from senior opposite hitter Meghan Matusiak.

Alyssa Warren led the team in digs with 15 to stay in second place in the conference with 5.7 digs per set.

Entering the match as the second best shot blocking team in the conference, the Bulls blocked nine kill attempts by the Pirates under their average of 2.54 blocks per set.

South Florida sophomore Andrea Rodriguez Gomez, third in the conference in blocked shots, only recorded three block assists in the match.

In the first set, neither team could get a lead larger than two points when the Pirates found themselves down 21-19 after a service ace by South Florida.

However, the Hall would shut out the Bulls the rest of the way, scoring six straight points, including three errors from the Bulls, on their way to winning set one 25-21.

The second set was more of the same from both teams with South Florida holding a 21-19 lead again.

The Bulls were able to close out the Pirates this time, 25-20, to tie the match at a set apeice.

The Hall came back in the third set, taking the lead to start the set and never let the Bulls even tie up the set.

It was in this set that the Pirates had the largest lead of the match for either side with a 21-15 score followiing a Matusiak kill.

With the edge, the Hall coasted to a 25-21 victory in the third set, taking a 2-1 set lead.

In the final set, the Pirates once again started strong, taking a 15-8 lead after Matusiak and senior middle blocker Krissy Wrobel teamed up for two straight blocks.

South Florida made a comeback attempt coming within four points, but the Hall closed out the match with another 25-21 victory.

The 3-1 set victory was the fourth straight match that the Pirates won by a 3-1 score.

Seton Hall will host Louisville Friday night at 7 p.m. for its annual "Dig Pink" match in support of breast cancer awareness.

The Pirates will play Cincinnati on Sunday at 2 p.m. Both matches will be played at Walsh Gym.

Jason Guerette can be reached at Jason.guerette@student.shu.edu.