Gang awareness workshop scheduled for October

The School Psychology Leadership Association will be hosting a gang awareness workshop on Tuesday, Oct. 25 to inform students on gang violence in the area.

The workshop will be hosted by expert John Farrell, LCSW. Farrell is a licensed clinical social worker and an expert in his field of study.

"It is important for everyone, not only those at SHU, to be educated about gang awareness so we can work together to build safer and stronger communities," Lauren Schaeffer, a psychology student, said.

According to Schaeffer, Farrell will be speaking about gang identifiers, risk factors,and interventions in schools.

Farrell plans to communicate the community's responsibility to protect local children and families from gang violence and establish the roles of local agencies and mental help professionals in preventing gang influence.

"I fell that gang awareness is especially crucial for Seton Hall students because of the location of our campus," student Hannah Basalone said. "We are near two big cities with histories of gang related violence."

Both Schaeffer and Basalone are part of SPLASH and helping with the event.

According to a flyer released by SPLASH, Farrell is currently employed as a program analyst at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. The Violence Institute of UMDNJ deals specifically with gang studies.

UMDNJ also develops programs and policies to address gang involvement, and conduct outreach activities.

The event will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Oct. 25 in the Nursing Amphitheatre, Room 113.

Samantha Massei can be reached at samantha.massei@student.shu.