SGA discusses village events for October

The Student Government Association discussed the smoothie machines that were supposed to be implemented in the cafeteria in the past weeks at their weekly Monday meeting.

According to SGA President, Derel Stroud, there was a mix up in the mail and the blenders have not gotten to the school yet.

"They purchased some blenders this evening and we hope to have the station up and running," Stroud said.

The station will have SGA banners and flyers on it when it is put in.

According to students, the station was implemented this past Tuesday.

SGA also discussed campus and village activities.

Stroud spoke about an upcoming event called "Can I Kiss You?" that will take place on Oct.17.

The organization has been asked to participate and it will be an interactive presentation, according to Stroud.

"The event will focus on healthy relationships and sexual assault awareness initiatives and it's a perfect way for first year students to get involved" President Stroud said.

The speaker for the program will be Mike Domitrz who is recognized for his engaging style, according to Stroud.

Village Liaisons Chair Kelsey Coolidge also talked about how students are getting involved, not only on campus but in the community too.

Coolidge discussed the walking tours that will be taking place around South Orange so that people can gain more knowledge of the village they live in.

"There is an option to take an extended tour after the regular tour takes place," Coolidge said.

The tours will start this Friday, Sept. 30 and will begin at 11 a..m. and go to 12 p.m., according to Coolidge.

Coolidge said there will also be a tour on Friday, Oct. 7.

Coolidge also announced that there will be a 5K in Maplewood that will take place on Oct.16.

"If you Facebook search Maplewood in Motion, you can find the 5K run and sign up for it," Coolidge said.

Kelly Carroll can be reached at kelly.carroll@student.shu.edu