Hall introduces new meal plan

Housing and Residence Life will be offering a new meal plan to students effective immediately this semester, according to a broadcast email from HRL.

According to the email, meal plan Eight gives students 12 meals per week and 695 Pirate Bucks. The cost of the new meal plan will be $2,223 per semester, according to the email. Assistant Director of HRL, Cheryl Janus, said over the past few years students have submitted suggestions in regards to the University’s meal plan options. “We have received many requests from students with busier schedules for a meal plan to better meet their needs of more Pirate Bucks to be used in the food court areas open later than the main dining hall,” Janus said. According to Janus, representatives from the Division of Student Affairs, HRL, Business Affairs and Gourmet Dining Services met to accommodate and discuss these requests. “[We] decided this was a great option for what was being requested,” Janus said. The meal plan gives students the second highest amount of meals per week and the most Pirate Bucks out of the available options. However, the meal plan is the most expensive plan listed under the 2011-2012 Tuition and Fees page on the University website. According to Janus, students only have until this Friday to switch off their current meal plans to Meal Plan Eight for the fall semester. “After Friday, students can switch to any meal they’d like, during the Add/Drop period on the spring semester,” Janus said. According the email, students wishing to change to Meal Plan 8 may do so by stopping by the HRL office in 68 Duffy Hall or replying to the broadcast email sent to all students. If students switch to Meal Plan 8, it will be pro-rated and students will be responsible for the cost of usage of their previous meal plan, according to the email. Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu