Fahy Hall renovations put off until spring

Renovations in Fahy Hall previously scheduled for this past summer will resume in the spring, following the removal of traces of asbestos found in the building's floor tiles.

According to Professor Thomas Rondinella, chair of the department of communications and the arts, Fahy Hall rooms 2 and 7 were scheduled to receive renovations this summer.

However, before the construction could take place, traces of asbestos were found in floor tiles of the rooms, halting the project until the chemicals could be removed.

The two rooms, which have not been renovated since the building was constructed in 1968, were to receive all new audio/visual equipment, including high definition projectors, SMART podium interactive displays, soundproofing and viewing screens.

One of the rooms was to be designated solely as a screening room for film and television classes, while the other was to remain a traditional classroom with the addition of the new equipment, Rondinella said.

"The renovations are long overdue," Rondinella said. "They will greatly enhance the viewing experience for students in media studies' classes."

Several students in the communication department did not know that Fahy was to undergo renovations.

Junior broadcast major Maria Perez was one of these students, "I actually had no idea, but it makes me happy being that I will benefit from them before I graduate, since I am a TV major," Perez said.

Ariane DiMarco, a junior broadcast major who has several classes in Fahy Hall Rooms 2 and 7, was also unaware that the renovations were to take place.

"Communication majors are encouraged to watch movies and look for little details," DiMarco said. "So a movie screen room would be perfect for that.

Though overdue, the renovations will have to wait until all asbestos is removed from the areas undergoing construction.

Asbestos, a chemical used in building materials, can "cause significant health problems," according the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, but only when it is damaged or disturbed.

This is why Seton Hall Facilities Engineering did not begin construction in Fahy Hall when the chemical was found.

Professor Glaser of the psychology department has expressed concern over the asbestos discovery.

Glaser, who instructs classes in Fahy Hall Room 7, said he hopes to continue after the renovation but is worried that "without air purification," the asbestos could be harmful.

Rondinella has ensured that the building is safe.

The renovations are scheduled to resume sometime during the spring semester. Though no specific date has been set, the construction will begin with Room 7, and shortly after will continue with Room 2, Rondinella said.

According to Rondinella, the building will be shut down for the duration of the construction, to ensure the safety of the Seton Hall community, and to limit the exposure to the asbestos chemicals.

Most of the construction for the project will be done by Seton Hall Facilities Engineering, while the audio/visual equipment will be installed by members of the Teaching, Learning and Technology Center, Rondinella said.

Ethan Arnowitz can be reached at ethan.arnowitz@student.shu.edu