Warren breaks school dig record as SHU wins two of three

The Volleyball team held home court this weekend by winning two of their games in the Seton Hall Invitational tournament this weekend.

The Pirates lost their only game to an undefeated TCU (13-0) team on Sunday. The Pirates won the first set 25-20, but were unable to carry the momentum and lost the next three sets (25-14, 27-25, 25-19).

Senior Meghan Matusiak led the team with 11 kills and added 12 digs.

Freshman Shelby Manthorpe contributed to the action with seven kills and 21 digs.

Manthorpe's twin sister Stacey Manthorpe added nine kills for the team.

Sophomore Alyssa Warren led the match in digs with 25.

In the first set, the Pirates only trailed at the beginning when TCU took a 2-1 lead. Junior Hanna Hugeback killed a TCU shot and the Pirates never looked back as they took the first set 25-20.

In the second set, the Pirates were only behind by two points, 13-15, but allowed six unanswered points as the Horned Frogs extended their lead and eventual downed the Pirates.

In the third set the Pirates fell behind to the Horned Frogs 16-20, but were able to fight back to take the lead 24-23. They were unable to fight off TCU and eventually fell 27-25.

In the fourth and final set the Pirates fell behind 24-16. The Pirates were unable to for a tiebreak as a late rally fell short and the Horned Frogs put the Pirates away 25-19.

The team swept the Friday doubleheader with a 3-0 win against NJIT and a 3-2 win over Boston College.

In the game against Boston College, Warren broke the Seton Hall single match dig record with 45. The previous record was held for 21 years by Laura Romeika.

Matusiak led the match with 23 kills and also added 11 digs.

The Manthorpe twins collectively recorded 14 kills and 30 digs.

Shelby Manthrope lead the match with 46 assists.

The Eagle's Brennan Clark recorded a team high 31 digs and added 4 assists.

The Pirates won the first two sets by the same score of 25-19, but were unable to close out the match as the Eagle's rallied back to win the next two sets (17-25, 18-25).

The fifth and final set was all Pirates as the team never trailed and came out on top by the score of 15-8.

The first game of the double header was dominated by the Pirates, who never trailed at any point during the contest as they swept NJIT (25-15, 25-10, 25-14).

The Manthorpe twins contributed with Stacey Manthorpe recording 11 kills and a match high 13 digs and Shelby Mantorpe with a game high 37 assists.

Matusiak once again led the Pirates in kills with 17 and added five digs.

The Pirates will return to action when they travel to play in-state opponent Princeton at 7 p.m. on Tue. Sep. 20.

TJ Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu