Women’s soccer: Pirates win Big East opener

A floating shot from senior Taylor Wilson found the back of the net in overtime as the women’s soccer team defeated the Georgetown Hoyas 3-2 in each team’s first Big East game of the year.

The win improves the Pirates record to 5-1-2 overall their best start since 2005. The Hall also improves to 3-0-2 in games that go into overtime.

The goal from Wilson is her second goal of the year. Also scoring for the Pirates was sophomore Katie Ritter who scored both goals in regulation.

Ritter opened up the scoring in the 13 minute after receiving a through pass from Wilson and being able to slip the ball past the Hoya goalkeeper, putting the Pirates up 1-0.

Georgetown tied up the game in the 31 minute off of a free kick. Sophomore Emily Menges took the free kick from right outside of the box and got the ball over the wall and skimming off of the bottom of the crossbar into the goal.

Ritter once again gave the Hall the lead in the 55 minute with a shot that hit the left post before going in the back of the net.

However, 15 minutes later the Hoyas once again tied up the game. Sophomore Colleen Dinn sent in a cross left of the box that found its way through some traffic in front of the net before getting deflected into the goal by senior Samantha Baker.

The game would remain tied at 2-2 at the end of regulation.

To start the overtime the Hoyas got the first chance to win in the 93 minute but Baker’s shot hit the crossbar.

Three minutes later Wilson found some open space on the left side of the top of the box and floated a shot just out of the goalkeepers reach to win the game.

Despite scoring two goals, Georgetown hit four posts in the game.

The Pirates return to action Sunday at 1 p.m. on the road against the Villanova Wildcats.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu

Author: Staff Writer

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This