Volleyball team even record with sweep at home

After winning a close first set the volleyball team made easy work of the next two sets to earn the 3-0 victory over Hofstra on Tuesday.

The victory gets the team's record to 5-5 on the year with four games remaining before conference play begins.

Senior Meghan Matusiak led the Hall with a team-high 14 kills to go along with three assists, five digs and a team-high six blocks.

"(Matusiak) always posts the double-figure kills," Zeiter said following the win. "She's one of the best players in the Big East."

Freshmen sisters Stacey and Shelbey Manthorpe also played well for the Hall. Stacey was second on the team with eight kills, while Shelbey contributed with seven kills and a team-high 22 assists, as well as nine digs.

"Shelbey's size makes her a very special player for her position," Zeiter said of the duo. "She's left-handed and can attack as well. And Stacey's really developing into one of our better outside hitters as well,"

Up front, senior Krissy Wrobel registered five blocks while freshman Ashani Rubin had four along with two kills.

On the back line, the Hall got a team high 22 digs from sophomore libero Alyssa Warren, and 14 from junior Olivia Trudeau as nine different Pirates got on the stat sheet.

In the first set, Seton Hall jumped out to an early 8-1 lead, including two kills from Matusiak.

Hofstra was able to rally back and took a one-point lead 17-16.

The two teams traded points before two errors by the Pride allowed the Pirates to take the set on a kill by Stacey Manthorpe, to edge Hofstra 25-22.

In the second set, the Hall jumped out in front again 9-3 courtesy of three blocks from Wrobel.

Following a Hofstra timeout, the Pirates pushed the lead out to 15-4 as Hofstra committed three miscues sandwiched around two more kills by Matusiak.

Hofstra used their second timeout, and Seton Hall cruised from there to take the set 25-18.

Set three was all Seton Hall. After falling behind 6-4, the Pirates reeled off a 21-5 run to close the match out and win the final set 25-11

Jason Guerette can be reached at jason.guerette@student.shu.edu