Student victim of attempted off-campus robbery

A Seton Hall student was the victim of an attempted robbery Wednesday night as he walked on Irvington Avenue near Ward Place, according to a safety alert e-mail sent by the University.

According to the e-mail, at approximately 8 p.m., the student was approached from behind and surrounded by three individuals, one of them producing "a long shiny object" as they demanded his money. The student physically resisted the aggressors, who fled the scene empty handed.

The student notified police who promptly found the three juvenile suspects walking in the vicinity of Ivy Hill apartments and arrested them, the e-mail stated. The South Orange Police Department informed University officials of the crime.

According to Patrick Linfante, the crime was reported to Public Safety around 10 p.m.

The victim did not suffer any injuries, according to the e-mail.

Public Safety did not issue the University community an e-mail regarding the crime. According to the safety alert, this was due to the "quick apprehension of the suspects."

According to the e-mail, "PirateAlert is used as a means of timely warning when a threat may be continuing, or danger is still present."

Linfante added that the suspects had been arrested and the threat had been eliminated by the time Public Safety was notified, nullifying the need for a PirateAlert as there was no continuing danger.

"We did send this out so people are aware that it did happen," Linfante said. "We are telling everyone how it happened, when it happened and why you didn't receive a PirateAlert."

Samantha Desmond can be reached at samantha.desmond@student.shu.edu