DOVE’s Service on Saturday’s returns for 2nd year

After a successful fall 2010 semester, The Division of Volunteer Efforts has decided to bring back the Service on Saturday program for another year.

The program, which has received minor changes, gives students an opportunity to perform community service for a portion of their Saturdays. According to Thomas Russomano, assistant director of DOVE, a lot of the sites from last year will be returning with a few new ones added in. The Food Bank, National MS Society, Jersey Animal Coalition and Sierra House are just a few of the sites students will be working at on Saturdays, Russomano said. “We do everything from cleaning parks, to packing lunches at the Food Bank, to holding a pizza party at the Cerebral Palsy Center of New Jersey,” Russomano said. “Students also participate in landscaping and working at places such at Sierra House, which is a shelter for homeless women.” According to Russomano, SOS does direct service with organizations that really need their help. Last year, the turnout per Saturday was roughly 350 volunteers. This year, Russomano said he hopes to get the student number up to 400. While the program has had very little change, according to Russomano, both current and new students can expect some differences in the program. According to Russomano, students will be able to sleep later this year. The program will now run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Seton Hall students spent Saturdays volunteering for community service programs offered by DOVE compared to last year’s start time of 8 a.m. Volunteers can also expect to receive a shirt and lunch. According to Russomano, the program is a great opportunity for the freshmen class. “It is definitely a great opportunity to do community service. Freshmen especially enjoy doing it because they can get a great deal of community service hours and a great chance to socialize with their Seton Hall peers,” Russomano said. Freshmen students are required to perform 10 hours of community service for their University Life core class at Seton Hall. Sophomore Justin Geringer said he participated in the program not only as a requirement but for fun. “Not only did I do it as a requirement for University Life, but I did it because I truly enjoy helping others out,” Geringer said. “I think it is a good way for students to help out around their community and our community here at Seton Hall.” Sophomore Chelsea DeFelice also enjoyed the program as a freshman. “I thought the program was great because so many students went and I made friends while completing service hours,” DeFelice said. This year, the three SOS dates are Sept. 24, Oct. 15, and Nov. 5. Each day the volunteers will divide into groups to cover each of the 10 sites. Registration forms for SOS must be completed in person at the DOVE office, located in Boland Hall 108. Rawan Eewshah can be reached at rawan.eewshah@student.shu.edu