Challenging week ahead for Hall’s men’s soccer team

Riding a four game unbeaten streak, the men’s soccer team faces arguably their toughest two game stretch of the season.

The Pirates head on the road to face the Monmouth Hawks on Friday and return home to face the No. 1 Maryland Terrapins on Tuesday. “It’s time to find out what type of team we are,” head coach Manfred Schellscheidt said. “We have to find ways to win and we have been finding our game.” The Hall enters these games with a 3-1-1 record. During this stretch the Pirates have only allowed two goals while scoring six. The status of sophomore goalie Anthony Reichwaldt, who has started all five games, is still uncertain after being injured in the team’s last game against St. Peter’s, which they won 3-1. Reichwaldt has allowed just 1.23 goals per game this season, with his backup, sophomore Kevin Bonder only playing in relief during the St. Peter’s game. On offense, sophomore forward Max Garcia leads the team with four goals, eight points, and 14 shots on goal. All four goals have came in the last four games. “Max is a dangerous player,” Schellscheidt said. “He is always determined to put the ball in the net and we need that out of a forward.” Monmouth, enters the match with the Pirates with a 3-1-0. The Hawks have just recently dropped out of the top 25 after being in the rankings most of the season. The Hawks will come into the game well rested having four days off. Monmouth is coming into the game after competing in the Stihl Soccer Classic in Virginia where they defeated William & Mary 1-0 and lost to No. 21 Old Dominion 3-1. Defense is what has led the Hawks this season, allowing only three goals in the four games while recording three shutouts. However as efficient as Monmouth is on defense, their offense has only scored one goal in each game. Junior goalkeeper Alex Blackburn has been the only goalkeeper for the Hawks this season, recording eight saves in four starts. The offense for the Hawks is led by senior RJ Allen, who has one goal and two assists for four points in as many games. The top ranked Terrapins currently hold a perfect 6-0 record with only two games being decided by one goal. The offense for Maryland has had no trouble scoring goals with 20 in their six games. The Terrapins offense is led by senior Casey Townsend with eight goals and sophomore Patrick Mullins with five. Senior goalkeeper Will Swaim has been near perfect this season, recording three shutouts and allowing five goals but has only seen a total of 11 shots in six starts. “It’s going to be a tough stretch,” Garcia said. “We have the talent to be able to compete this week.” Both games kickoff at 7 p.m. Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu