Contagion' gives audiences chills

One cough, one rub, one handshake; that is all it takes to transmit and contract a virus.

The film "Contagion" directed by Steven Soderbergh, explores this in a unique film that chronicles the spread of an unknown deadly disease. This disease rapidly becomes a pandemic, causing individuals all throughout the globe to panic. Among the panic, the government faces a race against the clock to find a cure. As the disease spreads, society as a whole begins to completely fall apart.

The large, ensemble cast features some familiar faces including Laurence Fishburne, Matt Damon, Sanaa Lathan, Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Gwyneth Paltrow. All of these actors give solid performances. However, Laurence Fishburne's portrayal of Dr. Ellis Cheever, head of the CDC, stands out from the rest of the pack. His raw portrayal of a doctor battling with a pandemic that threatens to destroy the entire human race is truly heart-wrenching. His character is extremely complex as he faces ethical and emotional struggles.

The movie was an attention holder from start to finish. At first the movie may appear to only have one storyline, but as the film progresses, many exciting storylines emerge that keep the audience guessing and on the edge of their movie seat. The film is not only freaky, but also scary, seeing how easily it is to contract germs. After seeing this movie you will definitely be germ-a-phobic.

Issues of infidelity, government secrecy and morality are explored within the film although not in great detail. The movie starts with day two of the outbreak and the audience is unsure how the virus originated until the conclusion of the film. However, that is one of the only questions that the film answers. The cliff hanger ending leaves the audience to wonder what happened to almost every character and about the future of the virus.

"Contagion" is definitely worth seeing in theatres, but it will be just as good as if you wait to watch it on the small screen. The infection will be waiting to get you.

Briana Knox can be reached at briana.knox@student.shu.edu